As a business owner, focusing on yourself has many benefits. By improving your relationship with yourself and making yourself a priority, you will learn to ease stress and anxiety, take care of your health while making time to do the things you enjoy outside of your business.
To get started:
- Add more alone time to your schedule. Create time each week to site quietly with your own thoughts. Choose a time that works for you and pick a spot where you won’t be interrupted. Once you get used to this, you will seriously value your solitude.
- Take time to think and ask yourself questions about your life and your business. For example, what makes you happy in your work, or what would you like more/less of in your life, or are you on the right track to achieve your goals?
- Treat yourself with kindness and patience. Ask yourself if you are as considerate to yourself as you are to others. If you don’t think so, make some changes.
- Exercise most days and eat healthy to feel your best. Make a point to take great care of your body.
- Spend at least a few minutes outdoors every day.
- Sleep for 7 – 9 hours to reset your body and mind. When salon life gets too hectic, you might sacrifice sleep in order to get everything on your to do list completed. This can be counter productive as being overtired can make you cranky, exhausted an unfocused. Make it a priority to get into a positive sleep pattern by going to sleep and waking up at roughly the same time each day.
- Put fun and relaxation activities on your calendar and make this a priority. Spend quality time with friends to let off steam – this is a great way to incorporate more fun into your life.
- Write a list of steps to take to improve your life. Check to see if your life and your business are heading in the right direction. You can create a list of goals that you want to achieve or experiences you’d like to have. Create action items that will get you closer to the work life balance you aspire to. If you have people or things in your life that make you unhappy, think about how to change them. Make a list of the adjustments you need to take to make things happen.
Steps to celebrate your strengths:
- Stop comparing yourself to others. Get in the habit of paying attention to your performance or feelings, rather than those of other people.
- Give yourself a reward for reaching every goal achieved because it is important to acknowledge yourself when you do something great.
- Start a gratitude practise to appreciate yourself. Make it a point to find something about yourself to appreciate each day.
- Journal daily, as this is a great way to express your feelings without any fear of judgement.
- Use treats to celebrate and motivate yourself. You can also give yourself a treat when you need a little motivation, as this habit can really help you tune into your own needs and wants.